- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey (you can also try adding some ground lamb)
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional - but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pita breads
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 22 mins
- In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients to make the sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- In separate bowl, combine meat and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Grill, covered, (you can also use a toaster oven or broil these) over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once.
- Cut patties into thin slices.
- Stuff into pitas.
- Add lettuce, tomato, and onion.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.